Given that we grow 150,000 tonnes of capsicum in our greenhouses each year, we’re a bit partial to capsicum recipes. And this go to wintry favourite is quick and easy and you can really add/substitute whatever vegies are fresh and best (or you find in the crisper in the fridge).
The trick is to dice them all the same size and cook the harder ones for longer.
- 4 red firm capsicums
- 200g beef mince
- 4 tbsp. Gateway Estate BBQ Relish
- ¼ cup parmesan
- ¼ cup mozzarella
- 1 large brown onion, finely diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 2 tsp. Spiral Foods Organic Minced Garlic
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- ½ cup milk
- a pinch of nutmeg
- Murray River sea salt
- Freshly cracked pepper
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees. Slice tops off capsicums, with a sharp knife, remove membrane and dice up capsicum tops.
- Sauté mince, breaking it down with the back of a fork so it’s well separated. As it starts to brown, add milk and nutmeg. When milk has cooked out, transfer the mince mixture to a mixing bowl.
- Wipe out the pan, add a dash of olive oil and throw in onion and cook until lightly browned. Add zucchini and cook until coloured, then add the diced red capsicum and minced garlic, cook for a further 30 seconds, then tip into mince mixture. Add carrot, breadcrumbs, barbecue relish and parsley, and season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Spoon mixture into capsicums and cover with grated cheeses and pop into the oven and cook for 30-40 minutes.
- Serve with roasted rosemary kipfler potatoes.
This meal could be made Gluten Free by using GF breadcrumbs or removing them altogether.
Image Credit: taste.com.au