This salad is so festive and pretty, loaded with vitamins and minerals and perfect to have at Christmas – as it includes all these seasonal healthy fruits packed full of antioxidants.
- 1 bunch Swiss chard (rinsed well, sliced into thin ribbons) or mixed lettuce/baby greens
- 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds (from 1 medium pomegranate)
- 3/4 cup frozen grapes, sliced*
- 2 mandarin oranges, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- ¼ – ½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts, raw
- 2 Tbsp dried cranberries (or another dried fruit like raisins or even chopped dates)
- 1 small apple – chopped
For the dressing:
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- salt & black pepper to taste
- 1/8 tsp coriander
- a pinch of cayenne
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- a few pinches of orange zest
For the topper:
- Simply prep all your ingredients and toss them with the dressing/spices in a large bowl.
- To make salad fun for the younger members of the family – toast a slice of bread and cut out a toast star to top the tree salad.
- Frozen grapes help to keep the salad nice and cool for you and your holiday guests! Just freeze the grapes, then right before you toss the salad, run them under warm water to quickly “thaw” the outside layer.
- You can substitute any of the above ingredients with pear, avocado, dates, capsicum, corn, diced roasted squash or sweet potato.
Makes about 6-7 cups