Become a French baker overnight, with this simple to prepare and delicious to eat classic French dessert, perfect for the cherry season, when they are plentiful, plump & juicy.
- 300g fresh cherries
- unsalted butter, for greasing dish
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- Icing sugar, for dusting
For the batter:
- 60g plain flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 3 large free range eggs
- 300 ml milk
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease a 25cm round baking dish with the softened butter, then sprinkle over the sugar.
- Mix all the batter ingredients with a pinch of sea salt in a blender or food processor until totally smooth, then set aside for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pit the cherries. A cherry pitter is best, however, if you don’t have one, gently squish the fruit with the side of the knife blade and pull the stone out by hand.
- Dot the cherries around the base of the dish and pour over the batter until the cherries are just covered.
- Pop into the oven to bake for about 30 to 35 minutes, or until puffy and golden.
- Allow to cool slightly, dust the clafoutis and serve.